Hinata “Hina” Urashima (浦島 ひなた Urashima Hinata), also known as Grandma Hina, was the grandmother of Haruka, Kanako, and Keitaro Urashima. She was originally the landlord and manager of the Hinata Inn and passed the inheritance to Keitaro.
In the Manga, Grandma Hina knew all along that Naru was the Promise Girl that Keitaro promised to go to Tokyo U with. She also knew the location of the Liddo-Kun shaped time capsule Keitaro, Naru, and Mutsumi buried beneath the sandbox when they were children.
Born in 1934 to Keisuke Urashima, Hina presumably inherited the Hinata Inn from her father.
Hina had two known children, both married. However, one, Yoko Urashima, was killed along with her partner. Hina adopted their child, her grandchild, Haruka Urashima, to live with her at the Hinata Inn.
Possessing an adventurous spirit, Hina ran the Inn alongside members of the Otohime Family until her decision to turn it into an all-girls’ dormitory; entrusted the running of the dorms to Haruka, embarked on a world-wide tour of adventure accompanied by her grandchild, Kanako Urashima; and taught her the Urashima Style of Jujutsu during their travels.
Sending faxes to Haruka every once and a while, she sent the Real Estate Deed of the complex to Keitaro after she learned of his arrival there.
Following Keitaro’s leave to study in America, Hina sent Kanako as temporary manager in Keitaro’s absence. Eventually, Hina herself returned to the dormitory to officially pass the property rights to Keitaro and his fiancé.
- In the Manga, Hina left for her world-wide tour a year before Keitaro arrived at the Hinata. In the Anime, Hina specifically invited Keitaro to stay at the dormitory before she left for her holiday moments later.
- Hina collected occult trinkets as a hobby.
- Hina used to be the town beauty, who attracted costumers to the Inn by her appearance.
- Hina's seiyu was Masako Nozawa, who was also dubbed Son Goku, from the series, Dragon Ball.
- Grandma Hina had two bodyguards who always traveled with her.